By Will Schmitt
Springfield News-Leader, Aug. 3, 2018
A proposal increasing Missouri's minimum wage by roughly 50 percent by 2023 has gained the support of a coalition of small businesses across the state. Currently, the state's minimum wage is $7.85 per hour. A proposal raising that rate to $12 per hour over five years was certified Thursday by Secretary of State Jay Ashcroft, and advocates announced the support of more than 300 business people in the state via a coalition called Missouri Business for a Fair Minimum Wage.
"When wages are raised at the bottom, money goes right back into businesses and the larger community,” said Mary Faucett, owner of Bambino’s Café, in a statement. "When all businesses, including the large chains, have to pay a decent wage, it will level the playing field for us little guys and help us grow our business."
Bambino's is one of a few dozen Springfield businesses that have signed up in support of a higher minimum wage. Other local businesses whose owners support a higher base pay rate include:
- Homegrown Food
- The Coffee Ethic
- Solely Jolie
- Big Momma's Coffee and Espresso Bar
- Hosmer King & Royce
- The Vecino Group
- Mudhouse Coffee
... Advocates for the minimum wage hike say that gradual adjustments — up 75 cents the first year and 85 cents a year after that until hitting $12 — would "give businesses time to adjust while experiencing the benefits of a rising minimum wage, such as increased consumer spending, cost savings from lower employee turnover, increased productivity, and happier customers." ...
In 2017, voters in St. Louis agreed to raise the minimum wage in their city to $10 per hour. Republican state legislators passed a law to pre-empt that increase. ...
Copyright 2018 News-Leader
- Share Springfield News Leader: Springfield businesses back $12 minimum wage in Missouri on Facebook
- Tweet Springfield News Leader: Springfield businesses back $12 minimum wage in Missouri!
- Email Springfield News Leader: Springfield businesses back $12 minimum wage in Missouri!
- Share Springfield News Leader: Springfield businesses back $12 minimum wage in Missouri on Google +
- Reddit Springfield News Leader: Springfield businesses back $12 minimum wage in Missouri!